RefWorks Home Page
- Importing from Online Databases into RefWorks (Import Filters)
- Importing from a Saved Text File
- Adding References Manually
- Online Catalog or Database Searches
- Ref Grab-It
- Creating Bibliographies within RefWorks
- Using Write-N-Cite
- Characters with Diacritics, Special Characters, and Languages
FAQs, Support, & Training
- Quick Start Guide
- RefWorks YouTube Tutorials-Fundamentals
- RefWorks YouTube Tutorials-Advanced
- RefWorks Webinars
Converting from another bibliographic management program such as EndNote
RefWorks Video Tutorial
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a web-based software* that captures, stores and organizes references for books, articles, web pages, and other sources. It then automatically converts these references into a properly formatted bibliography in the citation style of your choice, including APA, Chicago, and MLA. The GU-Q community may use it for:
- Storing references (both those you have imported from online catalogs and databases or have created from scratch)
- Creating bibliographies
- Inserting in-text references, footnotes, or endnotes into documents created in Word or other text editors
- Creating a personal, customizable research database
- Collaborating/Sharing references and bibliographies with other RefWorks users
Many items from our Georgetown library catalog can be driectly exported to RefWorks.
- Begin your search as you normally would using our library catalog.
- Once you have found the title you wish to import into RefWorks, look to the righthand side of the page and click on the Add to RefWorks link.
- You will be redirected to the RefWorks log in page.
- This citation wil be marked last imported.
*Important: See the RefWorks website for an official list of compatible web browsers and word-processors. Note that RefWorks does not work reliably with the Safari browser and has some problems with Internet Explorer. Firefox and Chrome appear to interface more reliably with RefWorks.
Setting Up An Account
Anyone in the GU-Q community, including alumni, who has a valid GUID can obtain a RefWorks account, free of charge, through the Georgetown Qatar Library website.
To sign up for an account, select RefWorks from Quick Links on the library website. Here, click “Sign up for an Individual Account” underneath the phrase “New to RefWorks?” Once you have created your account, you can begin using RefWorks.
Shortly after you sign up for an account, you will also receive a confirmatory email containing important information about your account, including your user name, password, and the Georgetown University Group Code, which enables you to access your account from outside the DeHoyas network.
Always use the Georgetown University Login Page for RefWorks to start your session.